News & Activities
Research interns needed
Research intern: vacancy #CAS1602
I am looking for two research interns to work on two different but similar projects starting from August this year. The projects are:
- Paper-based analytical method for determining the quality of medicinal plants: This project involves the
fabrication of paper-analytical device, development, and optimization of colorimetric reactions for determining the amounts of total phenolic, flavonoids and antioxidant scavenging activity of plant materials using smartphone as signal detector.
- Development of low-cost alternatives for measuring carbohydrates and lipids: This project also involves the fabrication of paper-analytical device that is compatible with reactions used for colorimetric determination of carbohydrates and lipids. We also plan to use smartphone for signal detection.
Ideal candidate should:
- have at least a four-year chemistry degree. Preference will be given to those who have M.Sc. in Chemistry or related subjects. If you are looking for a thesis project, this will be a great opportunity.
- have deep interest in research, self motivation, independent problem solving ability, and determination.
- commit for at least six month full-time.
I can not provide stipends but I will help you to apply thesis or research grant to funding agencies such as university grant commission and/or Nepal Academy of Science and Technology. You will get experience on a relatively new area of multidisciplinary research (microfluidics). I will encourage you to present the research findings in conference and you will co-author a research paper based on the results obtained for peer-reviewed journal.
These positions are open until filled (closed).
If you are interested in one of these positions, send me an email (bgirikias.org.np) with recent CV and subject line-vacancy #CAS1602
Dr. Basant Giri (Principle Investigator)
Scientist, Center for Analytical Sciences
Kathmandu Institute for Applied Sciences (KIAS)
KIAS is a multidisciplinary research center in Kathmandu founded by Nepali scientists in 2014.