News & Activities
Research internship with KIAS #CAS1701
Center for Analytical Sciences (CAS) at Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences (KIAS) is looking for a research intern in following research project.
Project: Salt iodine content estimation in Nepal: A cross-sectional, nation-wide, citizen science project
Iodine is an essential micronutrient for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess or deficiency of iodine can lead to thyroid disorder. Deficiency of iodine, known as iodine deficiency disorders, has multiple adverse effects on the growth and mental development, intellectual capacity. These are the most preventable cause of brain damage.
Salt iodization is a highly cost-effective and common approach to provide supplementary iodine globally. Universal salt iodization programs in many countries including Nepal have been used to provide iodized table salt. According to WHO, the salt iodine content at the packaging level must be 50-60 ppm and 20-30 ppm at the retail shops, to achieve at least 15 ppm in the household dietary consumption.
This project aims to estimate the amount of iodine in salt samples collected directly from kitchen. The samples are collected by high school students and are being tested for iodine in eight different labs across Nepal using standard conventional method and a paper-device method.
- Coordination with other researchers across Nepal
- Sample collection and laboratory analysis
- Data management and analysis
- Report/paper writing
- A bachelors degree in science, preferably in chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology
- Should have deep interest in research, self motivation, independent problem solving ability, and determination.
- Commitment for at least six month full-time.
- You will contribute to obtain information important to our health. This research may help government and other related agencies to have better policies.
- You will gain research experience and make network with other researchers.
- You may present your data to seminars/conferences.
- Based on your contribution, you can be co-author of a high quality peer-review paper from nation-wide data of this project.
Application deadline: These positions are open until filled. Applications are reviewed on rolling basis. Only selected applicants will be further contacted.
This position has been FILLED.
If you are interested, send an email to Dr. Basant Giri at – bgiri<at>kias.org.np – with a recent CV with subject line -Vacancy #CAS1701
About KIAS: KIAS is a science based multidisciplinary research institution in Nepal founded by a group of Nepali scientists with proven excellence in scientific researches that range from biodiversity and climate change to development of new technologies for chemical and biological analyses. KIAS prioritizes multidisciplinary research—both fundamental and applied sciences— through its constituting research centers. At the same time, KIAS aims at creating enabling environment to link scientific knowledge with decision making process.
KIAS is a equal opportunity employer.